More and more people prefer to live in a big noisy city to move to a cozy suburb. Kyiv is no exception in this regard. In the last 10 years, the center of the capital has become one big noisy office. And the sleeping areas are densely built-in high-rise buildings, which also does not add to the comfort of urban life.
Trends in recent years, first with the kovid and then with full-scale war, show that more and more people are moving to remote jobs. And it is the absence of the need every day to go to work in the office made it possible to consider the option of moving from a noisy metropolis to a cozy and quiet suburb or outskirts of the city.
If you are tired of living in an apartment among an urban anthill, – you have to move. What is better to choose: the construction of a new house «turnkey» in Kyiv outskirts of the city or the purchase of ready-made housing in the suburb? Reconstruct the old house or buy land and build «from scratch»? How to approach the selection of the district in the area and the specific land plot? Village or country cooperative?
What is that all about:
1. Choosing the direction of the suburbs or outskirts of Kyiv
Most articles on the topic of moving to the country house focus all on the features of building houses, the choice of materials, the types of projects, etc. This, of course, is all important. However, in this case, the first place is the location of the future housing. In this case, both the global direction of the suburb or the outskirts of Kyiv, and the local location of the site on the territory of the village, country cooperative or urban «private sector». Let’s start by choosing a destination to buy the land. We consider Kyiv as an example, but the general logic of decision-making can be applied to any city.
If we talk about Kyiv, it is initially important to decide with the bank of the Dnipro: right or left. Given that it is difficult to cross bridges, especially during peak hours, it is better to choose a place to live outside the city on the beach to which you are accustomed. This feeling is purely individual. Someone is trying not to leave the left bank without an urgent need, because the right is frequent traffic jams. And others on the contrary left bank and beyond Kyiv do not believe, preferring any right-bank area, just not to cross bridges.
Right bank. Directions of the suburb are traditionally considered with reference to major automobile routes. On the right bank in Kyiv stand out:
- Koncha-Zaspa. The most expensive direction in the suburbs of Kyiv. Formally part of this area is Goloseyevsky district of the capital. Beautiful nature makes life here quite cozy. Contrary to the opinion of many, not all the construction in this area is elite. There are also proposals for areas of medium price category, for example, in dacha cooperatives. Convenient entry to Kyiv, both on the right bank (directly in the center) and on the left (since you are immediately on the embankment of the Dnipro).
- Nova Obukhovska Track. Rather ambiguous place. Of the advantages can be identified convenient entry to Kyiv (as well as from Koncha-Zaspa). The main drawback many consider the location here a huge city dump. If you are going to buy a plot in this area, be sure to pay attention to this fact. We are talking about an unpleasant smell, especially in summer, and about constant rolling garbage trucks, which also do not add to the pleasant color of country life. Property buyers near the track should also pay attention to the railway line and the noise of trains passing through it.
- Odesa’s direction. The suburb of Kyiv from the Odesa highway is in many ways similar to the city itself. It is heavily developed by high-rise buildings, so lovers of secluded life in a private house will have to consider places away from the capital. In general, the direction is interesting, you can find beautiful cozy places.
- Vyshneve and Boyarka. The direction is similar to the neighboring odesa one, but with the entrance to Kyiv at peak times may be a problem. Not only are there no major roads in this direction, but also enter the middle of the Circular Road, which is widely known for its frequent congestion.
- Zhytomyr’s direction. In the «zero» two-thousandth years, when the country construction actively developed and experienced a real «boom», this area was considered one of the most popular. The logic of buyers was that on the excellent route Kyiv-Chop can be quickly reached to Kyiv. At the same time, the route organically passes into Berestheyski Avenue (the old name – Peremoga Avenue), which leads directly to the center of the capital. As a result of this agiotage, a huge number of people did buy or built houses in the Zhytomyr’s direction, which naturally led to very serious problems with congestion, especially during rush hours.
- Gostomel’s Track. Very cozy direction due to the large number of forests and waters. Getting to Kyiv is often difficult, but in general the situation is better than on the Zhytomyr’s highway. Here is the area of Pushcha Vodyca, which is known for the beautiful nature.
- Vyshgorod direction (right bank of the Dnipro). The most interesting for many are the settlements located near the Dnipro. The large number of recreation areas makes this area quite attractive. The right bank of the Dnipro is known to be higher than the left. Therefore, local residents are spared from «side effects» of living near the river, such as high groundwater and periodic flooding. Transport connection with Kyiv is good: the entrance from the Obolon’s side gives the opportunity to relatively easily get to both the center and the left bank of Kyiv.
Left bank. There are fewer options here than on the right bank. At the same time, these areas are not similar to the above right bank’s ones:
- Vyshgorod’s direction (left bank of the Dnipro). The direction is interesting at least because there is relatively little individual buildings. Next to the Hotyanovka village track is always free, and the settlements are far from each other. The beautiful nature, in particular the Desna River with its meadows, as well as the lack of a large number of dacha cooperatives and cottage towns make this direction interesting and unlike other. Access to Kyiv is often complicated due to the narrow «bottle neck» on the Kyiv hydroelectric power plant.
- The road to Oster along the Desna. This is quite an interesting area in terms of the combination of price and quality. The places here are quite picturesque, while the prices are significantly lower than the average for the Kyiv region. And at a distance of 25 km from the capital, starting conditionally from the village of Letochka, prices will pleasantly surprise anyone. Of course, it takes a long time to get from there to Kyiv, but there are usually no significant traffic jams on the road. When choosing this direction, special care should be taken to ensure that the site did not flood in the spring, because groundwater is very close to the surface.
- Brovary’s direction. Many villages near to Brovary are interesting both in terms of property prices and the level of infrastructure development. Here no one is «sitting on each other’s heads», as in many directions of the right bank of Kyiv. At the same time there is everything necessary for a cozy life in nature.
- Boryspil’s track. The main advantage here is the motorway itself, which allows you to quickly get to Kyiv. Among the disadvantages are the lack of forests and water around many settlements. From this point of view, the Borispol direction is very similar to the right-bank suburbs of the capital.
- Osokorky-Vyshenky. Here the main attraction is the Dnipro. The low left bank forms many reservoirs around which a large number of cottage towns and dacha cooperatives have been built. Here is beautiful, cozy and relatively inexpensive if you look for real estate a little away from Kyiv. Despite the fact that the Osocorky belong to the Darnytsia district, leaving the massif can often take quite a long time. Also pay attention to the level of groundwater and the possibility of flooding specific areas and locations.
1.1. Choice of a specific land plot
So, you have decided on the direction and the specific location for the purchase of land. But how to choose a specific plot, what parameters pay attention to?
When choosing land for the construction of a house, you need to consider the following questions:
- Village (private sector in the city) or country cooperative. The main drawback of life in country cooperatives (horticultural partnerships) is that electrical transformers in case of failure are maintained at the expense of the cottages themselves. And the power supply contract is with the partnership board. For the consumer, this leads to the cost of kilowatt, as well as to possible significant one-time costs in case of transformer failure. Therefore, many try to conclude a direct contract with DTEK to pay less and not worry about the transformer. In this case, the dacha cooperative has a number of advantages. It is often more comfortable, especially if many people live all year round, and in a horticultural partnership a good chairman and management. In general, this topic deserves a separate more in-depth study, so we recommend reading our article: «House in the village or summer house – what to choose?»
- The size of the plot. When choosing a plot you need to determine in advance its future planning. Also do not forget that a large plot is not only a space for development, garden or garden. But also the opportunity not to sit with neighbors «each other on the heads». In those places where the cutting of the land was small plots, there will always be a lot of people, a lot of cars and no solitude in nature will be discussed.
- Relief. It is very important to determine whether water flows to the plot during the rains. If the plot is in the pit, you need to determine in advance whether it is possible to lift it and how appropriate. Most often, the best solution is to abandon the site in the lowland. If there is a difference in altitude, you also need to pay attention to this. Since this circumstance may complicate and increase the future construction of a house.
- Needs of forest and water. Everyone knows that plots in the forest or near the pond are valued above normal. However, few consider one important nuance. In areas near the water, your country life is unlikely to be calm. After all, the water bodies are known to attract noisy companies. In addition, do not forget about mosquitoes. As for the forest, there are also nuances. Of course, if the forest near – this is a big plus: and the opportunity for walks, and clean air, and even a supply of firewood for the fireplace. However, having a plot in the forest itself or in the immediate vicinity of it may not be very convenient. Your plot will be all the time in the shade, and with high humidity. In summer it is good, but in autumn and spring on the site may be uncomfortable.
- Electricity, gas, sewage. It is necessary to specify in advance how much electricity can be allocated for you. This is especially important if you plan to heat the house with electricity. Usually the heating capacity is calculated as 1kW per 10 sq.m. heated area, that is 15 kW per 150 sq.m. But in fact (tested on personal experience) under normal insulation and half of these values are enough. If the electricity capacity is not enough for heating, the alternative can be gas. Do not forget to pay attention to how convenient it will be to organize a sewer. Usually there are no questions with drilling well, but with drainage can be nuances. Please note that your land plot is not in the pit, and be sure to learn the level of groundwater, especially in the spring period.
- Neighbours. It’s often said that when we buy a new house, we actually buy the neighbors. Not everyone understands the true significance of this factor and, unfortunately, at the stage of choosing and buying land for the construction of the house do not pay it due attention. And, meanwhile, bad neighbors can easily ruin your life, with a variety of options. They can be dysfunctional alcoholics, and vice versa, rude major or, sorry, an adult wealthy bully. It is especially important to pay attention to those who live in the neighborhood in dacha cooperatives. It is quite simple to do: firstly, by the look of the neighboring houses, secondly – after communicating with the locals.
2. Determined with parameters of the house
In this article we will not dwell on the constructive solutions of the house, materials and technologies of construction. A lot is written about this, in addition, in each case, the choice of the ideal option will be its.
Let’s first focus on conceptual things, without proper planning of which no materials and technology will allow you to live comfortably outside the city.
- Total building area. People who did not previously live in private homes, all as one tends to build as large a house as possible. Everyone has heard these conversations about «children will grow up, bring grandchildren, we will all live happily together in a big house.» In practice, there are two options for such developments. Or in the process of construction of a large house the money runs out, and the construction completely stops. Or as a result, a family couple one lives in a huge house, using only a small part of it. You should not build a house «with a reserve». This will only lead to more cleaning and more heating bills. Every room, especially bedrooms and bathrooms, should not be made too large.
- Number of floors. In recent years, more and more people are building one-storey houses. There is logic and practicality in this. Firstly, with age to constantly run to the second floor and back becomes more difficult. Secondly, the construction of a single-storey house is easier and cheaper. Two-storey house is justified only where the size of the land plot does not allow to build one-storey. Well, but about the three-story is not at issue, buy or build such a house is unlikely to be a good idea.
- Insulation. Focus maximum attention on the issues of insulation. And base (foundation), and walls, and ceiling with roof. All costs of insulation will be quickly offset by reducing heating costs. At the same time, in a heated house will be very comfortable to live in both winter and summer. Some forget that insulation is important not only frost, but also in the heat.
- Don’t forget the oven and generator. Practice has shown that the presence of an autonomous source of heating and generator in the house will never hurt. Even 10 years ago, at low gas prices, people practically stopped building stoves in houses. And even broke the existing ones. Now the trend is reversed – when building everyone is trying to plan a stove-fireplace. Also applies to the generator. 2023 taught everyone that having a generator in the basement is almost a must if you live all year round the country. But the best option is if you use our step by step instructions and organize in your home autonomous lighting and electricity supply.
- Sewerage. Pay maximum attention to the organization of drainage. Now there are systems that operate independently for years and do not require regular calls sanitation. This topic deserves separate consideration, so we recommend reading this article: «How to choose the type of off-line sewer for a country house»
2.1. Building a new house or reconstruct an old summer house?
The option of constructing a turnkey house with professional contractors or building from scratch is often the best solution. Here the action plan is clear. Choose a land plot, order or just «in the head» draw the project of the house, hire builders – and let’s go!
But in some cases, the preferred solution may be to buy a house already ready for reconstruction (small or capital). For example, it may be interesting if you want to live in a certain place, and there is no free land on sale, while the houses are sold. There are also options when a non-cazy-looking old cottage can be quickly and, as they say, «with little blood» turned into a small but cozy and modern cottage. Any cottage house is transformed after insulation, plastering of the facade and replacement of the roof. It is only important to choose the right structure and layout to break or carry as few walls as possible.
If you have found a house that generally suits you and requires only minimal construction work, our article may be useful for you: «Pitfalls when buying a house – what to pay attention on»
Often a good option is the reconstruction of summer houses built in the 1980s-1990s. Even if you have no documents on it, such a structure is easy to independently enter into operation. A solid brick house is chosen as the basis. The old roof made of beams with a shashel and gray slate is dismantled. An extension is made to the house to get a layout that meets all your requirements. It is desirable, of course, to fit the old house as much as possible into the new layout. After all this process, the house is covered with a new roof. All we have to do is warm up the front, and the new place to live is ready!
The option with the reconstruction of the old house can often be optimal in terms of the cost of construction. However, before buying such a real estate should consult with a professional experienced builder. He will be able to determine the condition of the structural elements of the old building and its suitability to serve as a basis for a new house.